For training purposes only. The information might be wrong or outdated. See the Official Website here.
Department of Public Works
We strive for cleanliness, safety, and efficiency.
The role of the Department of Public Works is to provide environmental and infrastructure services designed to ensure the cleanliness and safe and efficient mobility of the residents, visitors, and customers of the city; to provide for the oversight and management of solid waste collection activities performed by private contractors, including citywide curbside recycling. We facilitate the clearing of illegally dumped debris and provide construction, maintenance, and engineering design of streets and alleys; perform snow & ice removal services, perform sidewalk maintenance, as well as establish and maintain systems and devices for safe and expeditious regulation and control of traffic.
- Learn more about the City of Detroit's recently completed Streets for People Plan, a transportation plan to make it easier and safer for all Detroiters to move around the city.
- NEW!: View the City of Detroit's first Street Design Guidelines
- Biking in the City resource page and map.
- Request Speed Hump
- Apply for an Outdoor Dining Permit
- Apply for a Valet Permit
- Sidewalk Repair Program
- RoW Easements, Encroachments, and Vacations
- G.I.S Mapping for Public Use
- Standard Specs for Paving and Construction
- Right of Way Permit Application
- Street and Alley Standards
- Utility Restoration Detail
- Find Your Garbage Pickup Schedule
- Request a Recycling Bin
- Request a Paid Pickup
- Report Illegal Dumping (and more!) on Improve Detroit
2022 Street Sweeping Season begins April 18th and ends November 11th
Find out when your recycling, trash, bulk & yard waste gets picked up:
- Go to: https://detroitmi.gov/webapp/find-your-waste-pickup-schedule
- Type your street address where it says "Type your street address" and choose the correct address from the list of results.
- Now choose "My Schedule" or enter your phone number to get text message reminders the evening before each pickup.
You may also sign up for the weekly reminders by texting your street address to:
If you have issues with your garbage, recycling or any other waste pick up services please contact your provider at the following numbers: