For current info please visit detroitmi.gov
Epidemiology and Population Health Sciences
The Detroit Health Department’s Epidemiology Division aims to increase Detroiter’s readiness to address health concerns that impact our communities by:
- Supporting over 40 applied public health services and programs across the city
- Conducting ongoing public health surveillance of reportable diseases
- Investigating and mitigating disease outbreaks
- Disseminating proactive information on effective disease mitigation efforts
- Evaluating health program effectiveness
- Providing support for educational series
- Assisting with healthcare logistics projections
Through in-depth analyses of epidemiological data, these efforts influence public health policy and promote improvements in our health systems.
The Epidemiology Division works diligently to collect and analyze data related to the distribution, patterns, and determinants of health conditions among Detroit residents, so that they may make informed decisions about their personal health, and the wellbeing of their families and community.
Specific team efforts, for example, include:
- Improving understanding of health outcomes and existing health inequities
- Increasing the publics' access to population health data
- Further developing population health data infrastructure
- Aligning comprehensive needs assessments to focus on community health priorities
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the Epidemiology team retooled and drastically expanded the Detroit Health Department’s capacity to respond to health crises by producing daily, weekly, and monthly reports on COVID-19. This type of tailored health reporting allows elected officials and other community stakeholders to more effectively craft legislation related to preventative health efforts in the city.
The purpose of this form is to notify the Epidemiology team of any population health data needs or to request professional support from our team. Please include the requested information regarding specific metrics and the purpose of the project. This request link is not for health records : Data Request Form